Sunday, May 27, 2012

Jaipur

So what is new on the less informative side of our lives?

Well I for one have been showered with dozens of photos taken by the lovely Jacqueline, all of them showing me looking left. Seriously, were you to investigate my recent photos, it would be a logical conclusion to assume my face and neck are stuck that way.

I assure you, they aren't. We have been doing a lot of looking lately, left, right and particularly at ornate ceilings of which India is so fond of (and you know what they say about fancifying your ceilings...). We've also been looked at a considerable amount, and deny an average of fifty photos with random small children who feel the need to pose with us. My favorite incident was when I smiled at a particularly adorable girl, whose father then forced her to shake my hand. Her response walking away was "pon he baba?"

"Who was that, dad?"

Which is how I feel a lot of the time. Who are you, strange person, and why do you want me in your group family photos? This has been turned to my advantage before however as I shaved mega ruppees off my shoes purchase by agreeing to take a photo with the shopkeeper, and what turned out to be all his male cousins. Don't worry, he'll post me as his fiancée on facebook tonight.

Today we visited a gorgeous white marble temple, inlaid with scenes from the mahabarata (explanation: one of the main religious texts of the hindu religion). Apparently before the Moghul invasion (with Islam in tow), the Rajastani tradition was to let their women choose their consorts. The chosen one was picked from literally a line up of eligible men, and anointed with a garland of marigolds. This is a great idea. Unfortunately it didn't last, as the hindus adapted to the invaders ways of parental involvement and multiple wives.

We also visited a monkey temple. I've a had the lifetime experience of a baby monkey clinging to my ankle and mewling pitifully. I did this as a child to strangers on a biweekly basis, but I'm hoping this young primate did not mistake me for its mother. Yes, my legs are hairy, but I prefer to live in disbelief. Anyways, the monkey scurried off after I gave it a peanut, and I soon made other, less cuddly and scarier monkey friends.

More blog to come, maybe tomorrow. We are leaving in three days and return to the motherland. Running at a million miles an hour in 100 degree (F) heat and visiting every monument in northern India is not conducive to blog posting. I try, and please forgive my failures.

No comments:

Post a Comment