Thursday, April 19, 2012

Next Up...

After several blissful days in Rishikesh, attending yoga classes, meditating and going for long walks around the Ganges, we are heading back to Dehradun to do some more serious work. We have about 4-5 weeks left to impart all our dancing, martial art and english wisdom, and to finally master some naughty words in hindi.

I'm excited.

A goal I have in the last coming weeks of my gap year is to succinctly summarize my experiences in each phase and country. While I partially mean this in the cocktail party sense (answering impossible questions like "so, what did you learn on your gap year?"), there is a pressing need in my mind to preserve my memories and lessons. Being able to reconcile my identities as "the american Marielle" and my newly internationalized self, and not forget or lose my hard earned wisdom.

It's a bit of a tricky goal to maneuver around, as generalizations and sudden proclamations and proverbs don't cut it when it comes to crystalizing that which profoundly alters one's thought process, outlook and behavior. How does one accurately describe one's sentiments upon viewing a calf being transported with two men and a small child on a motorized scooter meant for one occupant? What is the concrete wisdom learned in learning how to take public transportation in the city with the highest rate of pickpocketing in europe? Is there a proverbial lesson in learning how to make friends with someone who speaks not a single word of the same language as you?

The norms I've adjusted to and people I have become are wildly different. The same person who was a social night owl and swore like a sailor in France became a bookish tea drinker in England, and then an artsy doodler who hung out and got up to mischief with the best Brazilians ever in Spain. I am now a vegetarian yoga-practicing tae kwon do teacher who can get any price halved.

While I hope and pray that my international friends come visit me in Minnesota, in the end it is just me who goes home to people who said goodbye to someone a bit different. I don't know which parts I'll drag back with me, but as a friend we've made here in India said... "I used to be someone very normal and I've just gotten steadily weirder."

Next Adventure Planned: Dominoes Pizza outing with my lovely bestie, who has informed me that the pizzas here are divided on the menu into non-veg, and vegetarian. I think I'll stick to my hindu morals for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment